It is a truth universally acknowledged that everyone in the world is a little bit in love with Ryan Gosling. It’s certainly been acknowledged at the AnOther offices, hence our desire to celebrate the actor’s birthday with fanfare and song; either songs performed by Gosling himself, or those that soundtrack his most impressive film roles.
So, as he marks his 33rd birthday, and the world mourns his decision to take a cinematic hiatus of undetermined length, we’ve taken a languid pilgrimage through his musical highlights. Ranging from a 1991 talent show performance of When A Man Loves A Woman, through the soaring strings that accompanied his and Rachel McAdams’ kiss in The Notebook, via the wrenching chords of his Blue Valentine ukulele solo, to the work of his band Dead Man’s Bones and a Dirty Dancing homage, let us cheer your gloomy autumn Tuesday with the AnOther Ryan Gosling Playlist.
1. When A Man Loves A Woman, Talent Show, 1991
2. Cry for You, Mickey Mouse Club, 1994
3. Sunshine, Remember the Titans, 2000
4. Instrumental, The Notebook, 2004
5. Put Me In The Car, 2007
6. L.O.V.E., Lars and the Real Girl, 2007
7. Lose Your Soul, Dead Man’s Bones, 2009
8. You Always Hurt the Ones You Love, Blue Valentine, 2010
9. A Real Hero, Drive, 2011
10. I've Had the Time of my Life, Crazy Stupid Love, 2011