Bravery, fantasy and the power of empathy – the new issue arrives on shelves this Thursday
The new issue of AnOther Magazine is a celebration of Hardcore Romance: screen angels and fashion gods uphold courage and idealism in the extremes. Dedicated to fantasy, dreaming and to dreamers, it’s a magazine that comes from the heart, a magazine about emotion, feeling and fantasy. Our cover stars Indya Moore and Naomi Scott represent new worlds filled with empathy and love, while three inimitable designers – Jonathan Anderson, Raf Simons and Rick Owens – reimagine the past and the present to create a vision of the future.
1. Be inspired by Pose star and this season’s centrefold Indya Moore and their wise and beautiful words for trans youth: “Community is important. Stay dedicated to the truth. Be dedicated to history. And every single person that is born, every single person that exists on this planet, has a responsibility to affect and influence anyone that they come to be in proximity to. Everyone matters. Everything matters. Don’t let anyone take your joy. We can find joy anywhere and in anything. Make sure that you experience joy in ways that don’t harm us, and that we hold onto joy, no matter what.” For AnOther Magazine’s cover, Moore is photographed by Willy Vanderperre and styled by Olivier Rizzo.
2. Imagine a new Hollywood with Indian-Brit Disney-princess-cum-superhero Naomi Scott, photographed by Collier Schorr and styled by Katie Shillingford: “In auditions in the past I’ve had those comments, ‘She’s kind of exotic, we don’t really know what she is... ’ But that idea is now being challenged. We’re seeing movies with female leads making millions of dollars, movies with predominantly black casts making millions, and that’s exciting.”
3. Delve into the dual vision of fashion’s most prolific polymath, Jonathan Anderson: “I’ve always thought that JW Anderson is a cultural agitator, whereas Loewe is a cultural landscape. One is there to create anarchy and the other is there to distil it.” Viviane Sassen photographs JW Anderson, while Mark Peckmezian shoots Loewe.
4. Explore boundary-defying designer Rick Owens’ endless idealism, as captured by Craig McDean and expounded to Tim Blanks: “Everything to me boils down to a challenge to mortality. You want to say something that will outlast you, you want to leave something – you want to live forever.”
5. Revel in the romance of youth with Belgian designer Raf Simons, as illustrated by Simons’ own fashion family: “I have always thought – and will never change my mind – that children and kids, youth, are our future.”
6. Connect with fashion’s great idealists, via a tender portrait of Karl Lagerfeld’s final collection for Chanel by Casper Sejersen; an essay by Comme des Garçons president, Adrian Joffe, who marks the 15th anniversary of the revolutionary retail store Dover Street Market, celebrated by artists Scheltens & Abbenes; an insight into Natacha Ramsay-Levi’s new era of modern femininity at Parisian fashion house Chloé, as captured by photographer Katja Rahlwes.
7. Indulge in heartfelt fashion, as illustrated by Sam Rock and Katy England, Harley Weir and Jane How, Lotta Volkova and Julie Greve, Nick Knight and Ibrahim Kamara, Gareth McConnell and Robbie Spencer, Tim Elkaïm with Agata Belcen and Nell Kalonji.
8. Explore provocative French multidisciplinary artist Camille Henrot’s new series of paintings, System of Attachment, alongside digital collages of her forensic research imagery and a free-wheeling discourse with acerbic author Natasha Stagg on femininity, cartoons, idolatry and form.
9. Take stock of the radical beauty of Derek Jarman’s oeuvre, as Dublin’s IMMA prepares to open PROTEST! this autumn. Tilda Swinton, John Waters, Luca Guadagnino, Olivia Laing and others remember his life and work and reflect on how Jarman’s bravery informed their own creativity in today’s turbulent times.
10. Read artist Grayson Perry on the liberating power of psychotherapy; photographer Tim Walker on one of the most sublime objects in his upcoming V&A exhibition; fashion designer and activist Katharine Hamnett on our future; musician Kindness on the late Philippe Zdar – shot by Tom Ordoyno and styled by Rebecca Perlmutar.
The Autumn/Winter 2019 issue of AnOther Magazine will be on sale internationally from September 12, 2019.