Unexpected, but no less luxurious, gifts to give or receive this Valentine’s Day
Valentine’s Day needn’t encompass sad petrol-station bouquets or naff heart-shaped chocolates or balloons – whether receiving from a loved one or simply gifting yourself, the day should instead be embraced as an excuse for retail nirvana. In this spirit, eight unexpected – and luxurious – gifts to give or receive on this romance-filled holiday (whether you’re celebrating or not).
1. Leave it to Copenhagen-based Sophie Bille Brahe to design the most elegant of earrings – like this this pair, crafted from 14kt gold and freshwater pearls. Drop hints to a significant other, or simply partake in a little self-love and purchase for yourself.
2. Made to stimulate all the senses, this Chanel Coco Mademoiselle spray velvet body oil will nourish and soothe your skin, leaving behind the fresh notes of patchouli, orange and rose – the same trio of scents which make up the legendary Coco Mademoiselle fragrance.
3. Simone Rocha’s S/S19 offering explored her Chinese heritage, for a collection infused with a whimsical, seductive femininity. Among the many stand-out accessories, this floral crystal beaded headband is alluring and romantic in equal measure.
4. For the more intimate of moments, Necessaire’s The Sex Gel – made from organic aloe vera, distilled deionised water and hyaluronic acid, with no fragrance added – promises “moisture, glide and comfort”.
5. No matter the occasion, the allure of black velvet is perennial – particularly when draped around this pair of Balenciaga pumps from the brand’s Resort 2019 collection.
6. A photo book makes for an unexpected, yet desirable, gift. We reccomend the MACK-published Showcaller by New York-based artist Talia Chetrit. Bringing together a 24-year archive, the monograph is an excellent example of Chetrit’s peformative and personal photography.
7. When it’s of the right shade, a lipstick has the ability to define a woman’s entire look: on Valentine’s Day, opt for intense and dramatic pigments, like Serge Lutens’ Fard a Lèvres in Roman Rouge.
8. Epitomising The Vampire’s Wife’s romantic take on glamour, this diamond-shaped gold lamé clutch makes for the perfect seasonal accessory – pair with one of the brand’s ruffled dresses for a traffic-stopping Valentine’s look.