Dazed Media is the world’s leading independent fashion and culture media brand.
Twenty-five years ago, Jefferson Hack and Rankin Waddell set up a magazine that would become a movement: Dazed & Confused. The title became a lightning rod for cultural provocation – radically reframing international style culture. Today, we are an agenda-setting publishing powerhouse and the most efficient way to reach the world’s most influential audiences.
Dazed Media powers an ever-evolving network of premium digital channels and iconic print titles including Dazed, AnOther, Another Man, Hunger and Nowness. Through innovative technology solutions we connect with a loyal group of 50m+ influencers and early adopters around the world. Our digital platform, dazeddigital.com, is the global home of radical fashion and youth culture.
The company also encompasses a pioneering creative studio, award-winning video production, exclusive events, industry-leading talent network and efficient third-party distribution. Dazed Media Studio specialises in fashion, luxury and lifestyle communications. We partner with the world’s most ambitious brands and agencies to create brave, pioneering ideas for a global influencer community.
Dazed Media is committed to empowering youth through creativity and championing next generation talent.
Dazed Media has a unique opportunity for a talented commissioning editor with a proven experience in beauty and fashion editorial to lead the team within dazeddigital.com.
Reporting to the Editorial Director and the Creative Director, the successful candidate will have at least 3 years of relevant experience at a similar level and a proven track record of managing online content and successfully commissioning and editing a website with similar quality, reach and editorial standard.
The successful candidate will have demonstrable knowledge of digital publishing and the ability to generate unique site aligned editorial ideas on a daily basis. Ideally you will have strong editorial and PR relationships within the fashion and beauty industry, with a particular interest or experience in beauty. You will be comfortable in a fast-moving, highly creative environment balancing competing demands with a cool head and the ability to prioritise effectively to meet deadlines. Excellent communication, organizational and leadership skills are key to success in this role.
Duties, Responsibilities & Deliverables
- Ensuring content quotas are delivered across each content category
- Editorial meetings, daily, weekly
- Review content performance daily / weekly, using GA, Chartbeat and internal tools
- Commissioning features, communicating with contributors to ensure alignment with Dazed style and tone, editing submitted articles.
- Writing features and interviews.
- Keeping abreast of beauty events of interest to Dazed readers; extensive knowledge of the cultural calendar.
- Ensure all content (site & social) adheres to the Dazed voice and aesthetic, follows the required style guides, production processes and meets editorial standards.
- Develop a world class contributor network of writers, photographers and video talent
- Oversee the assignment of the editorial budget and control the budget effectively, communicating with finance and contributors
- Work with the digital, social and marketing teams on audience development (site and social)
- Work with the digital, social & editorial team to develop innovative and evolving content formats
- Maintaining relationships with PRs across the beauty industry but also in the fashion, art and culture fields
- Act as an ambassador for Dazed Media promoting the site to PRs and at industry events or audience facing events, participating and leading live talks
- Collaborate closely with the advertising, agency and project management teams to deliver branded content and advertorials across the site
- Assist with pitching, responding to creative commercial briefs and commissioning branded content features
Desired Skills & Experience
- 3 years experience in a similar role at a similar level preferably working online
- Understanding of digital storytelling, social distribution and analytics
- Confidence to effectively manage relationships with some of the world’s leading creatives including writers, photographers, stylists, designers
- Strong black book of relationships across the industry, particularly with writers and PRs
- Excellent communication, organisational and leadership skills
- Keep abreast of fashion and culture events of interest to Dazed readers; extensive knowledge of the cultural calendar
- Team leader with management experience
- Experience of CMS, social media, analytics and tracking tools
Reporting to: Editorial Director / Creative Director
Location: London WC2. This role is primarily office based requiring occasional national and international travel.
Terms: Full-time, Monday to Friday, 10am – 6.30pm
Send your CV and one-page Cover Letter as a PDF document. Include links to online portfolio.
Email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “Beauty Editor, DazedDigital.com”.
Deadline: end-February 2018