NOWNESS is a movement for creative excellence in storytelling, celebrating the extraordinary of every day. Launched in 2010, NOWNESS’ unique programming strategy has established it as the go-to source of inspiration and influence across art, design, fashion, beauty, music, food, and travel. Our curatorial expertise and award-winning approach to storytelling is unparalleled. We work with exceptional talent, and both established and emerging filmmakers which connect our audience to emotional and sensorial stories designed to provoke inspiration and debate.
About the Role: Creative director, NOWNESS China
Based in Shanghai, the Creative Director for NOWNESS is the senior leader of the creative team in China composed of visual commissioners and editors. He/She also acts as a brand ambassador and spokesperson to both creative and business audiences.
1. Development of original NOWNESS and other videos, primarily for China, but also for Nowness Global
- Act as a catalyst for creativity within the teams by fostering idea generation and a creative workplace.
- Upholding the editorial policy and tone whilst bringing, new energy, personality and ideas to the title.
- Develop original ideas for new video series based on audience’s interests and revenue opportunities.
- Supervise production of pilots and established series. Review and approve concepts, outlines, scripts, rough cuts, budgets and post-production. Maintain integrity, quality and credibility.
- Work with contributors to re-edit ready-made content and make it a better NOWNESS fit when appropriate.
2. Management & Relationships
- Reporting to Group Style Editorial Director, Modern Media.
- Manage a team of 10 creatives and oversee wider editorial team.
- Develop and manage the contributor network: maintain and continually replenish a strong pool of creative talent, including known experts in their field, specialists, international stringers and key contributing editors.
3. Business & Brand Content
- Align editorial strategy to business strategy. Ensure the China office is aligned to the Global HQ in London while aware of specific demands and taste of Chinese audience.
- Lead development of original ideas for branded films. Eventually pitch to clients.
- Act as a spokesperson for NOWNESS across both creative and business audiences and leveraging any opportunity to promote NOWNESS.
- Join commercial team in sales meetings.
- Respected and known in the industry with a network of international creative or business contacts (or both), specifically China.
- Demonstrable experience of brand partnerships, probably gained at an advertising agency or similar, preferably in China or Southeast Asia.
- Strong relationships and credibility with directors or creatives is essential.
- Effective commercial understanding and business minded approach, with some knowledge of deal structures, rights, options, and talent negotiations.