NOWNESS is a movement for creative excellence in storytelling, celebrating the extraordinary of every day. Launched in 2010, NOWNESS’ unique programming strategy has established it as the go-to source of inspiration and influence across art, design, fashion, beauty, music, food, and travel. Our curatorial expertise and award-winning approach to storytelling is unparalleled. We work with exceptional talent, and both established and emerging filmmakers which connect our audience to emotional and sensorial stories designed to provoke inspiration and debate.
NOWNESS is a global video channel screening the best in culture, and is powered by Dazed Media, the world’s leading independent fashion and culture media brand. Twenty-five years ago, Jefferson Hack and Rankin Waddell set up a magazine that would become a movement: Dazed & Confused. The title became a lightning rod for cultural provocation – radically reframing international style culture. Today, we are an agenda-setting publishing powerhouse and the most efficient way to reach the world’s most influential audiences.
Dazed Media powers an ever-evolving network of premium digital channels and iconic print titles including Dazed, AnOther, Another Man, and NOWNESS. We are based in London and we’re excited to be recruiting for a core member of our team.
About the Role: Programming Editor, NOWNESS
The Programming Editor works closely with the Programming Director and the Head of Social Media to coordinate and create editorial output around all film and asset publishing. You will be responsible for upkeep of the site, via the CMS, to ensure the editorial side of UX is maximised. You will also work closely with the Advertising Partnership Director to ensure the timely delivery of branded editorial content. You should have both strong editorial and digital skills; with a willingness to learn and develop as an autonomous member of a small team.
Responsibilities and deliverables
- Researching and writing Story of the Day and Debut posts; working with programmer to source director and talent statements to this end
- Posting stories and Picks to the CMS daily; liaising with the Social Media Editor
- Getting news Picks up quickly to maximise traffic; aiding curation of Picks and plotting exclusive Picks
- Writing branded content stories and social media posts; liaising with the programming director to ensure all content is signed off and up-to-date
- Liaising with the advertising partnership director to ensure creation and delivery of branded editorial content and assets.
- Managing site furniture including modules and series pages, More to Love and other areas as required
- Managing the updating and upkeep of Topics in the CMS and Topic tags
- Leading on badging and monitoring badging onsite
- Actively sourcing playlists, guest curator module info and biog info from contributors; plotting strategically to complement the programming schedule
- Curating and sending daily newsletter; liaising with post-production coordinator for technical checks
- Curating NOWNESS social media channels where needed (e.g. Tumblr, Pinterest) under direction of the Social Media Editor
- Supporting the Social Media Editor in content creation for platforms, and in line with broader strategies
- Feeding into the wider editorial and social media strategy with the programming team
- Managing editorial activity for interns
- Writing synopses / accompanying text for film programmes for partners (airlines, festivals etc)
- Helping set style guidelines and keeping them updated
- Deputising for Programming Director when required
Essential knowledge and skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Being reactive and flexible; balancing daily operational and longer-term strategic activity
- Proactive time management to ensure daily, weekly and regular operational tasks are completed in time and to a high standard
- Good sense of how to craft heads and subheads; skilled at writing short, informative and compelling copy for daily stories
- Good understanding of Social, SEO and TAG strategies
- Managing behind-the-scenes content for use across platforms, alongside commissioning team and post-production coordinator et al
- Good sense of how to craft compelling, shareable social media posts
- Strong subbing skills
- Proactive in research and asset management
- Autonomous worker with ownership over projects and daily tasks
- Comfortable working in a small team
- Strong understanding of NOWNESS POV and tone of voice
- Finely honed understanding of how to align copy with films and stills across the site, newsletters and social media
- Knowledge of the NOWNESS film archive
- Contributing to effective processes; proactive in troubleshooting and streamlining operational tasks
- Strategic understanding of NOWNESS messaging across platforms
- Good communication skills across the team and with external partners/PRs/contributors
- Skilled use of CMS
- Passion for short film and NOWNESS content
- All members of the NOWNESS team assist in sourcing content; team members also feed into commissioning projects and other creative initiatives
Title: Programming Editor, NOWNESS
Reporting to: Programming Director and Managing Editor
Working closely with: Social Media and Advertising teams
Terms: Full-time role with competitive salary and pension. 20 days annual leave plus public holidays and 3 additional days at Christmas.
Location: Office located in London WC2
How to Apply
Send your CV and one-page cover letter in PDF format by email. Include your salary expectations and any notice period you have in your current role. Email to email@example.com with Programming Editor, NOWNESS as the subject.
- This is full time role based in our London office. We are not considering remote candidates for this position
- You must have the required visa to live and work in the UK
- No Agencies please This job post will remain live until we have filled the position