With the Christmas countdown fully underway there is one thing that is undoubtedly at the forefront of everybody’s minds; presents. The buying, the wrapping, the giving and the long awaited opening – they are for most, the pinnacle point of Christmas Day. Here, anothermag.com editor Laura Bradley shares her Christmas wish list, from delicate pearls, to statement silver trainers and her personal favourite, a luxury Azzedine Alaïa doll.
1. Laloushka, Collectable Azzedine Alaïa Doll
Why did you love this doll? I love the idea of having a doll on my Christmas list, it takes me right back to childhood when I would dream of opening the latest Barbie. I remember one year when my parents bought me a 3-storey Sindy house and hid it behind the curtains.
Where would you keep it if you owned it? I have a shelf at home with lots of my favourite things – postcards from friends, a beautiful photograph of two dogs by photographer Ben McMahon, and a vintage toy Bambi that my best friend sent me for my last birthday.
What was your first doll/teddy? I had a toy bear called Michael which I've always kept. He had a sound inside his tummy but this stopped working when he had a wash in the washing machine. I had a big collection of Barbie and Sindy dolls and spent a long time meticulously labelling them with names, ages and occupations.
What do you find most inspiring about Azzedine Alaïa? His rigour and his continued dedication to his house codes. I love that Mr Alaia doesn't go with the conventions of fashion week – choosing to host an intimate show at the end of Paris – and keeping with a select colour palette. He also has a inspiring dedication to craft with his laser cuts and sculpted knits.
How will you spend New Years Eve? I normally get quite anxious around New Year as I never have an exciting plan. This year, I'm co-hosting a HOLLYWOODLAND party at MC Motors, a brilliant space in east London which houses a plethora of antique props. The HOLLYWOODLAND sign was in place until 1949 so we are encouraging old Hollywood glamour dress. Get your tickets here. It's going to be fun!
What are you looking forward to most about Christmas? Eating lots of food, walking along the beach, spending time with my family, putting on the fire and watching lots of films.
2. Some New Balance 576 trainers in grey and pink to encourage New Year's fitness resolutions.
3. This cosy Whistles Kitty Rib Mohair Knit from their Limited Edition Collection. I love pink.
1. A Sterling Silver and Double Pearl Ring by Stern.
5. The Diary of Frida Kahlo: An Intimate Self Portrait, reveals the artist's illustrated thoughts, hopes and dreams during the final decade of her life.
6. This Ibride Victorie Cat Tray. There are so many brilliant trays available in this series, I'd love them all.
7. A pair of these Nike Air Max in Silver.
8. These Fendi Metallic Leather Flats, the perfect Christmas shoe.
Text by Rhiannon Wastell